Ignorance is Bliss
I recently heard that McDonald's is going to start putting nutritional labels on all of their food. I thought this was an excellent idea because often times people don't realize just how horrible that stuff is for you. Apparently there is some debate about the issue because it seems many people don't want to know. I couldn't grasp this logic. I mean, perhaps if people knew how much fat and calories was in the food they were eating--if it was staring back at them in print from the wrapper of their quarter pounder with cheese--perhaps then they would make a more health conscious decision.
I didn't understand the logic that is, until yesterday. Mancino's (one of my favorite restaurants which has only the best subs in the world) recently released a nutritional brochure (it can be viewed at samuelmancinos.com). I enthusiastically started plugging in the information to see how it converted into Weight Watchers points and was stunned. I had been WAY underestimating how bad (nutritionally) their stuff is. For example, half of a club grinder (one of my favorites) on wheat without mayo has 890 calories and 45 grams of fat--and most of them are at least that bad! That is 21 points! Keep in mind, I get 24 points for the entire day!
Oh how I wish I had never seen the brochure and could go on living in ignorant bliss! It is a sad, sad day friends.
I didn't understand the logic that is, until yesterday. Mancino's (one of my favorite restaurants which has only the best subs in the world) recently released a nutritional brochure (it can be viewed at samuelmancinos.com). I enthusiastically started plugging in the information to see how it converted into Weight Watchers points and was stunned. I had been WAY underestimating how bad (nutritionally) their stuff is. For example, half of a club grinder (one of my favorites) on wheat without mayo has 890 calories and 45 grams of fat--and most of them are at least that bad! That is 21 points! Keep in mind, I get 24 points for the entire day!
Oh how I wish I had never seen the brochure and could go on living in ignorant bliss! It is a sad, sad day friends.


6 Comments:
At November 04, 2005 2:37 PM,
Kayla said…
Well, I promise to buy you a very special treat form Mancino's AND dairy queen when you are nine months pregnant and don't care a rats butt about calories. Just like you did for me. (And I'll even eat with you) What are sisters for?
At November 04, 2005 3:34 PM,
Jules said…
Hmmm...that's incentive to get pregnant...for the FOOD! :-)
At November 04, 2005 4:10 PM,
Anonymous said…
I agree....go for it...:)
At November 04, 2005 5:07 PM,
Amy said…
ignorance is DEFINITELY bliss. heaven help the person who ever tells me how many calories and fat grams are in a pizza sub from Pizza Oven. I really do not want to know. Same for a quarter pounder with cheese and those fries...I don't indulge very often, but when I do, I do not want nutritional information to ruin it!!
This reminds me of a funny story...Steve was on the Papa John's website and found their nutritional information. He started to tell me about the garlic butter dipping sauce, and I said, "DO NOT tell me. I do not want to know. I want to go on enjoying it. Please do not tell me how bad it is for me." So he said, "Well...it's got Vitamin A!"
Ever since that has been the running joke--"Better eat some Papa John's with that garlic sauce, I need to make sure I get enough Vitamin A" :)
At November 09, 2005 1:51 PM,
Jules said…
So I checked on the Papa John's garlic butter dipping sauce just for the fun of it. Don't worry; I'm not going to tell. I will say that while it's not great by any means...it's not quite as bad as I thought it would be. ;)
At November 14, 2005 10:15 AM,
Amy said…
and...it has vitamin A! so, see, it's yummy and utterly justifiable ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home