The Mental Ward

The exciting adventures of the Ward family

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

New Routine

I have had to make some major adjustments in my routine the past couple of weeks. At the same time that Mike moved to 1st shift my Bible study started, as well as my step aerobics class (which meets twice a week). I found myself struggling (and failing) to get everything done that I needed to each day. Mike would be ready to go to bed at 10:00 (or before) and I still had tons to do. All of the sudden I didn't have time to work on my Bible study, exercise, clean, etc. I felt crazed, unorganized, constantly rushed and out of control. Don't get me wrong, I love having Mike home in the evenings--it has been wonderful. It's just that it threw my schedule for a loop.

I finally resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to bite the bullet and get up earlier. So, I've been getting up when Mike does (more than two hours earlier than I used to). Did you know that 5 & 6:00 come twice a day? I work out for about an hour (on days I don't have aerobics), have my quiet time and work on my Bible study, eat breakfast, shower and get ready for work, make the bed and do any other straightening up that needs it. I also get supper all put together for that night. For example, tonight we're having tacos. The meat is already browned, all the veggies are chopped and the cheese is shredded. This way we have plenty of time to eat a good supper and relax before I have to dash off to aerobics or praise band practice or we have to leave for church or something. By getting up early I am also ready to go to bed at the same time he is.

So far it has been working out great. I have time to get everything done that I need to and spend time with my husband in the evenings. We go for walks and bike rides, watch movies, work on the house, go grocery shopping, etc. It’s really nice to be a real married couple again.

5 Comments:

  • At October 11, 2005 1:55 PM, Blogger Kendra said…

    I'm so happy for you! I understand the switch in routine, but I am sure you are positively thrilled to see Mike more.
    I don't know if I believe you about the five coming twice a day. ;)

     
  • At October 11, 2005 2:53 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    "Did you know that 5 & 6:00 come twice a day?"

    That made me laugh :) Yeah, I didn't know that either until I got married and started getting up with Steve! I would still rather be a night owl, but I'm (mostly) used to it now. Glad you're settling into the new routine!

    P.S. as far as preparing dinner ahead goes...I have discovered that it works GREAT to buy about 5 lbs. of ground beef at a time. It's cheaper that way, and I take the time to brown it all at once--then freeze it in bags of 1 lb. each--makes prep go SO much quicker for recipes that need ground beef!

     
  • At October 11, 2005 3:05 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    P.P.S. was that just ME giving YOU cooking tips? what is wrong with this picture? :)

     
  • At October 12, 2005 8:10 AM, Blogger Jules said…

    I love that you are giving me cooking advice! It means my little Amy is growing up! :-)

    I actually do buy meat in bulk and brown and freeze it all at once. That's why my taco meat was all ready to go! :-) I also make a LOT of crock pot meals. I throw them together in the morning and they are ready to eat after work.

     
  • At October 12, 2005 8:34 AM, Blogger Kayla said…

    I totally understand the whole, new routine thing! I am still getting use to it and I think Josh is going back to second for a week now so it's going to mess everything up again. Now maybe you won't pick on me for being in bed at 9:00 some nights now :) with getting up at 5:00!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home