The Mental Ward

The exciting adventures of the Ward family

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Things you should never say to a pregnant woman (Part II)

I was shocked at some of the comments people had the nerve to say to my face when I was pregnant with Joel. Guess what? There are still plenty of ignorant, rude people out there. Here are some of the doozies I've already heard upon sharing that we are expecting.

"Don't you know what causes that?" *snicker*

"AGAIN?!"

"On purpose?"

"There are ways of preventing that you know...heh heh"

"Were you trying?"

"Oops!"

"Better you than me!"

Here's a free tip: The correct response when someone tells you they are pregnant is always "congratulations!" For the record, I'm not stupid. I went through 5th grade sex-ed and I know where babies come from. I am also thoroughly educated on birth control methods. Weather or not we were trying or not is nobody's stinking business. I can't believe the nerve of people who don't really know me to ask such a personal question. Calling someone else's child an "oops" is very rude (By the way, I prefer the term "pleasant surprise"). Oh, and when you're the only one laughing at your jokes they AREN'T REALLY FUNNY!

*Clarification: It's totally different when our friends and family say/ask these things then when it comes from people we barely know (i.e. Mike's former co-worker or a lady I deal with occasionally through work). I've already said in a post here that this was a surprise baby, I just think it's rude for random acquaintances to ask!

3 Comments:

  • At August 12, 2008 5:44 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    glad you added the clarification...I was feeling guilty for saying "better you than me"! I figure I did plenty of shrieking and congratulating first though :P

    as for "don't you know what causes that", the best comeback I've heard is "yes and we LOVE it!" ;)

     
  • At August 15, 2008 8:55 AM, Blogger Jules said…

    Ha ha...LOVE the comeback.

    Yeah, I had to add the clarification when the 3rd friend said to me "I saw your blog...sorry if I said one of those things." Totally not the same as a stranger saying them.

     
  • At August 25, 2008 7:51 PM, Blogger cincychelle said…

    When you are four days overdue - you don't exactly want to hear "Yikes mommy, it's big!" from a complete stranger. I heard that one today. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home