Things you should never say to a pregnant woman
I am amazed at the topics some people find appropriate to discuss with pregnant women, so I've started to compile a list of rude comments to avoid. Feel free to add your own. Luckily I haven't personally heard all of these.
~"Are you SURE there aren't twins in there? Triplets?"
Okay, what would make anyone think this is a funny question? Why don't you come right out and say "you are as big as a house fatty!" Also along the same lines are "you're only eight months?!" or "you look like you could pop that kid out any minute" or "how much weight have you gained?" or "you must be having a girl because your butt has really spread." In general, avoid comments about size. They are never acceptable. Ever.
~"With my first I was in labor for 40 hours, ended up with a C-section and could barely walk for weeks!
I've always been baffled with this sick need people feel to tell pregnant women horror stories. I do not want to hear about your 4th degree tears, extremely long and painful labor, or any stories about moms or babies dying during childbirth. Wait until I have a baby safely in my arms before we discuss the dirty details, okay? I'm about to experience the pain myself and nothing you say can prepare me, so there is really no need to freak me out beforehand with worst case scenarios.
~"You're not going to eat that are you?"
It's none of your business what she's eating, or how many times she's gone back for more. Even if you're joking about "eating for two," she is probably feeling insecure to begin with and is going to cry about it later so keep your snide little comments to yourself.
~"Can I touch your belly?"
I was warned about this, but was still dumfounded the first time it happened. I personally don't mind as long as it is someone I know, but strangers touching me kind of freaks me out.
~"Were you trying?"
Unless it is like, your sister or your best friend it is a pretty personal question and none of your business.
~"Wow, you look miserable."
As I mentioned in my previous post, any and all comments about how sick, uncomfortable, etc. a pregnant woman looks are OFF limits. It's hard work carrying a child and not typically flattering. She is probably already feeling lousy about her appearance so give her a break.
~Haven't you had that baby YET?
I hear there is no worse question to ask a woman at the end of her pregnancy and by doing so you are putting yourself at risk for serious injury. It should be obvious if she has had the baby yet so don't ask such a stupid question unless you are prepared to be smacked.
~"Are you SURE there aren't twins in there? Triplets?"
Okay, what would make anyone think this is a funny question? Why don't you come right out and say "you are as big as a house fatty!" Also along the same lines are "you're only eight months?!" or "you look like you could pop that kid out any minute" or "how much weight have you gained?" or "you must be having a girl because your butt has really spread." In general, avoid comments about size. They are never acceptable. Ever.
~"With my first I was in labor for 40 hours, ended up with a C-section and could barely walk for weeks!
I've always been baffled with this sick need people feel to tell pregnant women horror stories. I do not want to hear about your 4th degree tears, extremely long and painful labor, or any stories about moms or babies dying during childbirth. Wait until I have a baby safely in my arms before we discuss the dirty details, okay? I'm about to experience the pain myself and nothing you say can prepare me, so there is really no need to freak me out beforehand with worst case scenarios.
~"You're not going to eat that are you?"
It's none of your business what she's eating, or how many times she's gone back for more. Even if you're joking about "eating for two," she is probably feeling insecure to begin with and is going to cry about it later so keep your snide little comments to yourself.
~"Can I touch your belly?"
I was warned about this, but was still dumfounded the first time it happened. I personally don't mind as long as it is someone I know, but strangers touching me kind of freaks me out.
~"Were you trying?"
Unless it is like, your sister or your best friend it is a pretty personal question and none of your business.
~"Wow, you look miserable."
As I mentioned in my previous post, any and all comments about how sick, uncomfortable, etc. a pregnant woman looks are OFF limits. It's hard work carrying a child and not typically flattering. She is probably already feeling lousy about her appearance so give her a break.
~Haven't you had that baby YET?
I hear there is no worse question to ask a woman at the end of her pregnancy and by doing so you are putting yourself at risk for serious injury. It should be obvious if she has had the baby yet so don't ask such a stupid question unless you are prepared to be smacked.


12 Comments:
At July 31, 2007 6:14 AM,
Amy Deitemeyer said…
Sorry about the whole Amie Fry thing. Really! I just thought you would want to know--and not three months later.
I think you look beautiful, and labor is not as bad as everyone makes it. Just don't forget the epidural! ;)
Love ya!
At July 31, 2007 8:14 AM,
Kayla said…
I have one that must be added to the list and I think you will appreciate it. "Will you be disappointed if it's a boy / girl?" No one is going to be disappointed to have a healthy baby, and if there are any raw emotions about wanting one or the other, it's really not the time to discuss it. Wait until said baby is 1 year old and ask if parents may be considering having another baby.
At July 31, 2007 8:45 AM,
Jules said…
Amy, I was not referring to you AT ALL...I did want to know about that so don't feel bad.
Kayla, I completely agree. Like when a couple has 2 girls and people constantly ask if they are "going to try for a boy" as if the girls aren't good enough so they should try again for what they *really* wanted. I'm sure the same is true when you have two boys. RUDE! We are asked all the time if we would prefer a boy or a girl. It’s kind of awkward because if we said one and then it comes out the other people will think we are disappointed. It’s a baby—we will be happy with what God gives us!
At July 31, 2007 12:37 PM,
Amy said…
I'll add the one I told you about already:
"How's the weather tomorrow? I mean, your belly is already there."
!!! Obviously trying waaaay too hard (and not succeeding) to be funny.
I haven't had the stranger-touching at all--lots of belly touching from the women at church but that doesn't bother me in the least. I can see how it would bother some people--I'm just not one of them.
Last weekend I was so irritable that even the non-rude questions bothered me. I'm just tired of answering "how much longer now? when is the baby due?" :P The due date is an ESTIMATE--a total GUESS--it could be anytime in the next MONTH!!
At July 31, 2007 6:39 PM,
Kendra said…
Amen to all that!!!!!! Seriously, when did it become public knowledge to know all the details of conception, pregnancy, and birth? It's just wrong.
Watching you on stage this past Sunday, you were glowing. I'm so excited to meet little Ward, and you look absolutely pheonomenal!
At August 01, 2007 11:09 AM,
Kelly said…
Julie/Amy K.
You think it bothers you (or doesn't bother you...) now to have people touching your tummy....well, just wait until strangers try to touch your newborn. Whoa.... it's not pretty. That REALLY ticked me off! Just remember... it's perfectly acceptable and not rude to say "no"...r to quickly turn your shopping cart in the other direction :)
At August 02, 2007 8:38 AM,
Amy said…
P.S. my favorite on your list is your response to this one:
~Haven't you had that baby YET?
I hear there is no worse question to ask a woman at the end of her pregnancy and by doing so you are putting yourself at risk for serious injury. It should be obvious if she has had the baby yet so don't ask such a stupid question unless you are prepared to be smacked.
At August 03, 2007 10:21 AM,
Jules said…
I still can't believe someone actually said that to you Amy!
At August 06, 2007 10:50 AM,
Amy said…
OK, I've got a new one, from the same totally-not-funny person:
"I wasn't sure if you'd be here today--thought maybe you would have popped. Looks like you're about ready to...don't get too close to anything sharp! [laughs at self] Or maybe you're thinking that would help--'Gee, if I just bump my belly up against the corner of this chair' [demonstrates to make the point] [laughs at self again]"
me: [polite smile, inwardly rolling eyes, thinking: Notice YOU are the only one laughing because you are not funny! You are trying way too hard!!]
argh. late pregnancy is really bringing out my cranky/irritable side :P
At August 06, 2007 10:52 AM,
Amy said…
AAAND, the other one I got two Sundays in a row from my pastor (he was gone yesterday, good thing I didn't have to hear it again):
"you need to hurry up and have that baby, you're making me nervous!"
um, nervous of what? that I am going to suddenly go into labor and have the baby right here in the middle of the sanctuary? this isn't the movies.
argh.
At August 11, 2007 2:19 PM,
Kendra said…
Here's another!
"You look tired."
Is there any other polite way to tell someone they look like crap??? I know it's just concern (maybe) but it just says, "you have bags and dark circles under your eyes, and you look horrible." Avoid ever telling anyone they look tired.
At August 13, 2007 8:24 PM,
faith ann raider said…
Here is another comment I get a lot since I am pregnant with #4 - "So are you done having kids yet?" that comes right after "Are they all yours?"
Cashiers at Wal-Mart ask me this, total strangers who haven't even introduced themselves ask me this. And since I have three girls I am often asked if we'll keep trying until we get our boy. I just don't get it. And I am growing more and more offended every time I hear it!
Post a Comment
<< Home