Rolling With the Punches
Wow, I guess it's been a while since my last post. Basically it's like this--I'm really trying to spend much less time on the internet for personal use while I'm at work. My boss is paying me to do a job, not update my blog (and check everyone else's), email, shop online, check my online banking, etc., and I feel like I'm basically stealing from him by spending his time on personal business rather than work. It's especially challenging to stick to this conviction when we're slow, but I can actually find plenty of work to do when I'm not preoccupied with my own stuff. Hopefully I'll be better about updating from home than I have been lately. :-)
We had thought that there was an end in sight for Mike's long hours at work, but unfortunately that didn't fall through. The other supervisor they hired for his department got fired, so the search is still on for a new one. He's been working 12-14 hour shifts (at least) 6 days most weeks since September (including an 80+ hour week last week). While it's exhausting physically for him, he's hanging in there and rolling with the punches. We're trying to stay positive about the situation since it's out of our control, and we are thankful for the extra money. He is such a hard worker and I just so much respect for him.
Meanwhile, he's preparing for a mission trip February 18-25. A group from our church is teaming up with a church from Bay St. Louis, Mississippi to help in the ongoing clean-up of the Golf Coast, as well as working in reconstruction efforts. You can check out their website to view pictures of some of the destruction. It sounds like a lot of manual labor--right up Mike's alley.
We cashed in our gift certificate for the jacuzzi room last night and took today off. It was so nice just to get away and spend time together (and Mike deserved a day off after all of his hard work lately).
We had thought that there was an end in sight for Mike's long hours at work, but unfortunately that didn't fall through. The other supervisor they hired for his department got fired, so the search is still on for a new one. He's been working 12-14 hour shifts (at least) 6 days most weeks since September (including an 80+ hour week last week). While it's exhausting physically for him, he's hanging in there and rolling with the punches. We're trying to stay positive about the situation since it's out of our control, and we are thankful for the extra money. He is such a hard worker and I just so much respect for him.
Meanwhile, he's preparing for a mission trip February 18-25. A group from our church is teaming up with a church from Bay St. Louis, Mississippi to help in the ongoing clean-up of the Golf Coast, as well as working in reconstruction efforts. You can check out their website to view pictures of some of the destruction. It sounds like a lot of manual labor--right up Mike's alley.
We cashed in our gift certificate for the jacuzzi room last night and took today off. It was so nice just to get away and spend time together (and Mike deserved a day off after all of his hard work lately).


3 Comments:
At January 31, 2006 9:03 AM,
Kayla said…
AH HAH, Jacuzzi room! That must have been wonderful to get away. Josh says to me "Mike wasn't at work today, was Julie? I hope he isn't sick" Now he will know you two were enjoying a much needed get-a-way! Lucky bums. Have a good short week now.
At January 31, 2006 1:38 PM,
Amy said…
Glad to see an update, even if I did get the scoop in advance last night ;)
Awesome about Mike's mission trip--I can't wait to hear about that. Sandra and Kevin led a team to Mississippi right after New Year's and had a really powerful experience.
Can I just say, too, that I'm inspired and admiring of your conviction to cut down the personal internet time at work. I heard a survey somewhere that indicated that's the single greatest loss of productivity from employees. I'm sure God will honor your desire to work hard for your employer and honor Him!
Maybe, even though I'm unemployed, I need to follow your lead and view my internet time as stealing from God by spending HIS time so much on the compouter instead of on the valuable other things I could be doing...hmm...
Love you girl!
At January 31, 2006 8:15 PM,
Anonymous said…
Yay! She's alive!!! I was wondering....I'm glad to hear you are hanging in there. How much fun are those jacuzzi rooms! Andy and I stayed in one last year bc our church's marriage retreat was there. Fun fun fun! Glad you guys took some time for yourselves. Love ya!
Post a Comment
<< Home