A Follower’s Life
I haven't had much time for blogging lately (or email or anything else requiring a computer), but I wanted to check in and update about my new Wednesday night Bible study. I really enjoyed the "Heritage Home" study I did (and learned a great deal from it), but I found that often times it was more about getting the blanks filled in than spending time with the Lord. And while our class time was excellent, we always felt rushed to get through all of the material we had to cover.
The focus of this study is to be able to meet with the Lord on a daily basis without the aid of a workbook or devotional. This is something I constantly struggle with. Sure, I can consistently spend time in the Word when I have Beth Moore to lead me by the hand, but when it's just me and my Bible I am somewhat lost. I prefer this study because it doesn't matter if it takes me an hour to get through ten verses--there isn't a deadline, only a guideline. Spending time really studying the scripture means that I am getting more out if it, and not just rushing through it to find the answer to a question. So, weather I only have 15 minutes or 2 hours to spend in quiet time doesn't matter, and I don't feel like a failure if I don't "get it all done."
This Bible study also focuses on "faith-in-action" issues, such as being intentional about blessing others, sharing your testimony and memorizing scripture. I'm really excited to see what the Lord will do through this study. I'm only on my 2nd week, but my quiet time has been so much more fulfilling and I look forward to see what God will do in the coming weeks.
The focus of this study is to be able to meet with the Lord on a daily basis without the aid of a workbook or devotional. This is something I constantly struggle with. Sure, I can consistently spend time in the Word when I have Beth Moore to lead me by the hand, but when it's just me and my Bible I am somewhat lost. I prefer this study because it doesn't matter if it takes me an hour to get through ten verses--there isn't a deadline, only a guideline. Spending time really studying the scripture means that I am getting more out if it, and not just rushing through it to find the answer to a question. So, weather I only have 15 minutes or 2 hours to spend in quiet time doesn't matter, and I don't feel like a failure if I don't "get it all done."
This Bible study also focuses on "faith-in-action" issues, such as being intentional about blessing others, sharing your testimony and memorizing scripture. I'm really excited to see what the Lord will do through this study. I'm only on my 2nd week, but my quiet time has been so much more fulfilling and I look forward to see what God will do in the coming weeks.


3 Comments:
At January 13, 2006 9:06 AM,
Kayla said…
That sounds wonderful. I am not ashambed to admit, it is overwhelming sometimes just sitting with my Bible and feeling hopeless at where to start when I'm not seeking an answer or in a study. The new study sounds so fulfilling to your spirit right now and it is awesome to read your excitement after only two weeks. Maybe this is just what you needed to get you through the dreaded days of winter. I wuold love to say keep posting what you learn but then I feel convicted from Mike's sermon of being a parasite, however, my honest intentions are pure because I really wish I was in the study!
At January 13, 2006 5:32 PM,
Amy said…
I'll say it--keep posting what you learn :)
I loved hearing all this over the phone the other night. And your words were just the butt-kicking I needed to get back into ("coincidentally" enough) Ephesians myself. It's one of my favorite books.
Can't wait to keep studying together and share what we're learning! Love you!
At January 30, 2006 1:31 PM,
Kayla said…
knock, knock anybody home? What's going on in your life?
Post a Comment
<< Home