Husband? What Husband?
I swear, I never see Mike. It's funny how we can live in the same house and be so out of touch at times. As you all know, he has been on 2nd shift for nearly a year now. This presents many challenges of its own, but we've dealt with it. Though our time together is minimal, it makes the time we do have that much more precious. We have lunch together every day, I take Wednesday mornings off so we can spend it together, and we see each other all weekend. However, this has not been the case lately. Not only has he worked 12+ hour shifts for the past two Saturdays, but he has also been working 12+ hour shifts during the week for the past two weeks (11 am to 11pm), which means we don’t see each other AT ALL.
Although these long hours and weekend shifts are supposed to continue for another couple of weeks, he did receive good news yesterday. He had been told they would be hiring three new supervisors for another department, so he had asked to be switched to that department where he would have higher seniority. He was told yesterday that they are finally filling those three positions (hopefully) this week, and he will most likely move to 1st shift after two weeks of training his replacement! I am trying not to get too excited about it yet because they have a tendency to drag things out forever, but it is still great news. I can’t imagine having evenings together again! Although he will likely have to work a lot more weekends now, at least it will be on first shift so we’ll still be able to go out or spend the evening together. This will be SO good for us! Plus, even though they are working this weekend, he doesn't have to because he already put in for a vacation day on Friday. That means a four day weekend for us! Yay!
Although these long hours and weekend shifts are supposed to continue for another couple of weeks, he did receive good news yesterday. He had been told they would be hiring three new supervisors for another department, so he had asked to be switched to that department where he would have higher seniority. He was told yesterday that they are finally filling those three positions (hopefully) this week, and he will most likely move to 1st shift after two weeks of training his replacement! I am trying not to get too excited about it yet because they have a tendency to drag things out forever, but it is still great news. I can’t imagine having evenings together again! Although he will likely have to work a lot more weekends now, at least it will be on first shift so we’ll still be able to go out or spend the evening together. This will be SO good for us! Plus, even though they are working this weekend, he doesn't have to because he already put in for a vacation day on Friday. That means a four day weekend for us! Yay!


2 Comments:
At August 31, 2005 3:11 PM,
Anonymous said…
Yay Jules! I am sssooo happy for you!
At September 01, 2005 9:39 AM,
Kayla said…
WAHOO!!!!
I can't wait to go to Fire mountain the first friday our men are both on first. I know your hesitation, but after working split shifts, good news (no matter how long it may take) makes your stomach butterfly and your heart skip to imagine being a "normal" family!!! You've put in a patient year girl! REJOICE!
Post a Comment
<< Home